The Valley of Flowers– a UNSECO Heritage Site with 500+ species of flowers is located in Chamoli District of Uttrakhand and is called ‘Stairways to Heaven. Here, you will stroll past the beds of vividly coloured beautiful flowers, admire the lush green surroundings, and enjoy the fresh and cool mountain breeze. This article tells you important things to remember while planning your expedition to this Himalayan Paradise.
- Best Time to Visit Valley of Flowers – Mountain flowers here start to bloom in late June, and the valley becomes a floral paradise in July and August. So, the period of July-August is the best time to visit this wonderful place. Take a camera along to capture breathtaking views and lovely flowers.
- How to reach Valley of Flowers – This valley is easily approachable, the closest railway station is Rishikesh, and the closest airport is Dehradun.
Dehradun is 300 km from Delhi. Private taxis and buses are easily available for the 12 hours of journey uphill to Joshimath. Then you have to take a 1-hour bus/taxi drive to Govindghat. If you are an adventurer enthusiast, you can start your trek from here to reach Ghangaria, which is a 13 km trail.
People take pony rides to Ghangaria. Even you can get a cab or shared jeep from Govindghat to Poolna to cover 4 km, but for the rest of 9 km, you have to take a pony or walk.
These days Helicopter rides are also available from Govindghat to Ghangaria, but it’s expensive and depends on weather conditions.
From the base camp of Ghangaria to the Valley of Flowers, there are only trek trails amidst the beautiful mountains and no roads. So, walking is the only option.
- Where to stay in Ghangaria – There are many budget hotels in Ghangaria, but they offer small rooms. It’s best to stay in camps and Swizz tents deployed in the mountains close to the Helipad. The view of the valley from here is magical. There is a long waiting list for these camps, so make the booking beforehand.
- Trek from Ghangaria to Valley of Flowers – This awesome 4.5 km valley trail is full of stunning flowers and mesmerizing views. You will find yourself walking in Paradise. There is an entry ticket of around 200 rupees at the park’s gate and is valid for 3 days. People start at around 6 AM as nature is at its best at this time, and early allows you to take pit stops for clicking pictures and relaxing.
- Carry your food – Get your water and food packed and carry them with you as there are no eating joints in the Valley of Flowers. To ease your trek, you can carry chocolates, energy bars, drinks, etc.
- The thing to carry –
- Hiking shoes with extra pair of socks
- Headlamps or torch
- Sun and woollen Caps
- Comfortable clothes
- Water bottle
- Fleece jackets and Thermals
- Mosquito and insect repellant
- Sunscreen lotion
- Lip balms
- Energy bars to munching on the way
- Packed food
- Energy drinks
- First Aid kit
- Wet wipes and toilet paper
- Quick-dry towel
- Sanitizer and mask
- Power bank
- Trekking pole
- Extra polybag
- A good camera
- Rishikesh and Hemkund Sahib- You can even visit these beautiful places if you have time in hand.
- Height and Weather- Valley of Flowers is at an altitude of 3450 meters above sea level. The temperature range is between 10 to 22 Degree Celsius.
The Valley of Flowers is a beautiful place for going on an expedition and making many wonderful memories. Make a trip soon with your gang of friends.